Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Look but don't Touch?

I found a really interesting article just recently.  Since we had had a class discussion on the use of drones in archaeology, I went looking a bit further.  I found a few examples from across the world where aerial photographs, drone videos, and satellite imagery have been used to document sites without disturbing them.  This article states "look but don't touch", an idea that to me is an interesting possibility.  I wonder if these ways of collecting information and documenting archaeological sites can be done in a place likes Ontario where there has been damage done from ploughing and development.  I did like Josh's talk where we looked at the possibility of using drones on an active archaeological sites, and think this is something I need to look into further as well!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/150403-noninvasive-archaeology-ammaia-roman-lusitania-portugal-video/

1 comment:

Jennifer Willoughby said...

This is a very interesting article, that highlights how digital technologies are sometimes helping us to move away from excavation. New technologies such as remote sensing and satellite and photography being used more frequently on archaeological sites over the past few decades, I think we are seeing a paradigm shift in archaeological research. I think you are right, Brandi, that this technology could be very useful for documenting sites in Ontario, and especially for tracking changes over time. Noninvasive technology is becoming more critical to how we do archaeology and what archaeology means in the 21st century.